Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Commission (IWWC)


The IWWC consists of five members and two alternates serving a 5-year term. Currently there is a vacancy for an alternate. The IWWC meets 1st Monday of the month at 7:00 p.m. at the Town Office Building, 2nd floor Courtroom. 
Each town's municipal inland wetlands agency regulates activities that affect inland wetlands and watercourses within their municipal boundaries. These activities, often referred to as "regulated activities," are those proposed or conducted by all persons other than state agencies. State agency actions are solely regulated by the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP).
The Town of Sprague Inland Wetland and Watercourses Commission shall enforce all provisions of the Inland Wetlands, and Watercourses Act and shall issue, issue with modification, or deny permits for all regulated activities on Wetlands and within 100 feet of Wetlands in the Town of Sprague persuant to Section 22a-36 through 45, inclusive, of the Connecticut General Statues, as amended. 
A regulated activity means any operation within or use of a wetland or watcourse, including but not limited to, removal or deposition of materials, or any obstruction, construction, alteration or pollution,
of such wetland or watercourses, but shall not include the specific activities in Section 4 of the Inland
Wetland Regulations. Furthermore, any clearing, grubbing, filling, grading, paving, excavation, constructing, deposition, or removing of material and discharging of storm water on the land within one-hundred (100) feet from the boundary of any wetlands or watercourse is a regulated activity, Therefore, any activity affection inland wetlands and watercourses within the Town are prohibitied, except as may be permitted by the Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Commission.

Upcoming Meetings & Events (next 30 days)



Aquifer Protection Regulations

Inland Wetlands & Watercourses Regulations

Sprague Zoning Map
Town of Sprague Zoning Map effective November 4, 2009


IW&WC Application for Change of IW Regulations or Boundary
The Inland Wetlands & Watercourses Commission Application for Change of Inland Wetlands Regulations or Boundary

IW&WC Application for Use of IW
The Inland Wetlands & Watercourses Commission Application for Use of Inland Wetlands

Statewide Inland Wetlands & Watercourses Activity Reporting Form